Personal stories: Faces of asthma
Asthma is a breathing disease that affects Canadians young and old. Almost three million Canadians have asthma. Here you'll find the personal stories of everyday Canadians with asthma. Their stories show how people struggle, cope, and even thrive with asthma:
- Lica Feraru- Vancouver, BC
- Courtney: a beautiful, bright, caring and compassionate 14-year-old girl who passed away suddenly from an asthma attack
- Thirteen-year-old Lauren C. of St. John’s, Newfoundland loves cheerleading, gymnastics, dance lessons, and volleyball. She also has asthma but that hasn’t stopped her from participating in her favourite sports.
- Marcel, who developed asthma on the job at a Manitoba dairy. Marcel says “If there’s just one thing I’d like to tell other workers, it’s this: Be fully aware of all the substances that you work with. Know your risks. And protect yourself. It happened to me, it could happen to you.”
- Ron, who has only 30% lung capacity because of work-related asthma.
- Richie, an active retiree and volunteer from Merrit, B.C.
- Paige, a four-year old whose breathing troubles started when she was a newborn
- Mark, a young man whose life was cut short by asthma
- Mary, a teen athlete from Edmonton, AB
- Allison, an Asthma Clinic coordinator who feels blessed to have asthma. Allison writes: “The best part of my job is helping patients with asthma realize that the same quality of life is within their reach.”
- Katie, a girl from PEI who works hard to control her asthma. Katie says having asthma “..is like having a pencil in my throat. I know what an asthma attack is like and I want other children to know that you just have to breathe slow and let the medication do its work."
- Hannah, 11, an award-winning gymnast and competitive swimmer.
Do you have asthma? Share your story
If you have asthma, we'd love to hear from you - please send us your story. Tell us how it feels to have asthma and how asthma affects your life. If you’d like, you can send a digital photo of yourself, too. We may post your story on this website. You can use this form to submit your asthma story :