Spring is a great opportunity to clean out our closets, revisit resolutions that may have been forgotten and give your lungs a breath of fresh air. This April, add air quality to your spring cleaning list and take a moment to make your surroundings better for your lungs. Trust us – they will thank you.
Sadly, air quality is something that’s not completely in our control, as we share the air with pollutants, like exhaust, smog or smoke. Good news is that you do have significantly more control over the indoor quality of your home. Below are five quick tips to make your home more breathable.
Smell the change.
- Take stock of the scented products in your home. These can be fragrances, cosmetics or household cleaners. These often contain a number of chemicals that can make breathing more difficult. In some cases, they can cause shortness of breath, nausea or cold-like symptoms. Replace these with better-for-you products or make your own. For more information, visit https://www.lung.ca/lung-health/air-quality/indoor-air-quality/scents .
- If you or someone you live with is a smoker, make sure you eliminate smoking inside the home. Better yet, visit our resources to help you quit.
Dust and declutter.
- Simple, yet effective. Dust can settle on anything. This innocent covering of nothingness can have surprisingly negative effects on your breathing. For some, this can be a trigger for asthma or allergic reactions. It is important to dust and vacuum regularly and eliminate unnecessary clutter that just serves as dust collector. Eliminate unnecessary fabrics in your home (like old rugs) and make sure all remaining fabrics are kept clean and dust-free. This will make them less favourable for dust mites to settle in and trigger your allergies.
Make it green.
- Make your home a home for scent-free plants. Plants, like crispy wave fern, are an esthetic way to make the air in your home cleaner. For more information about the fern, visit http://support.on.lung.ca/site/PageServer?pagename=Breath_of_Spring_why_tulips .
Check for radon.
- Radon is an invisible, odorless gas that can seep into your home through cracks in floors, walls and foundations. You can’t see radon. You can’t smell it or taste it. Yet, high levels of radon in your home can have significantly negative effects on your lung health. In fact, radon is one of the leading causes of lung cancer. Luckily, radon testing is simple and inexpensive. Contact your local Lung Association for information about radon kits or visit your local hardware store.