Appliances such as the furnace, water heater and dryer should be inspected and maintained at least once a year.
- The best time to check the furnace is at the beginning of the fall season when you are just turning on the heat and sealing up the home again from the cold weather.
- Change or clean your furnace filters according to the manufacturer's instructions. Some filters may need to be replaced or cleaned as often as every month while others can wait for up to three months (seasonal).
- Install a carbon monoxide (CO) detector to help protect you from harmful carbon monoxide levels.
- If you suspect a problem with your furnace, water heater, or other appliance, immediately contact a qualified service company to have it checked and repaired.
- Make sure you remove lint regularly from your clothes dryer filter. Also, inspect your vents and hoses attached to the dryer to make sure there are no blockages, leaks or loose parts that may be pushing lint and other fibers back into the indoor air.