Personal Care Products

Although there is not generally much of a health risk from most personal care products, they can affect some people. When personal care products are used in an enclosed space such as a bathroom, they can remain in the air afterwards and other occupants in the home can breathe in the remaining chemicals causing potential health problems.

Tips:

  • Use non-toxic products if possible.
  • When applying or using any products, be sure to turn on the bathroom fan or open a window to limit any odours from drifting throughout the home.
  • Some individuals may be allergic or sensitive to fragrances and ingredients. If a certain product causes symptoms (e.g. cough, shortness of breath, chest tightness, wheeze, dizziness, nausea, an allergic reaction, or eye, skin, or throat irritation), stop using the product immediately. If it is an airborne product, get some fresh air by going outside or away from the bathroom for awhile. If it is applied to your body, clean it off with mild soap and rinse well. If needed, get medical help.
  • Health Canada's Consumer Product Advisories, Warnings and Recalls.

Tour More Rooms

AddThis Social Sharing Icon

Page Last Updated: 18/06/2018