Although dust is found everywhere, it can be controlled, both at the source and through regular cleaning.
- Vacuum using a central vacuum system or one with a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter at least once a week.
- Where possible, replace carpeting with smooth flooring.
- Regularly clean items with damp cloths that collect dust and dirt. Common dust collectors include: television and television stand, electronic equipment, coffee table, bookcase or shelving unit, paintings hung from the wall, lamps and lampshades, and blinds.
- Regularly vacuum soft furniture such as sofas and cushions to remove food crumbs, pet dander and dust mites. If possible, vacuum or wash curtains.
- One part lemon juice with two parts vegetable oil makes a safe furniture and floor polish.
- Regularly replace furnace filters and vacuum your heating vents.
Tour More Rooms
Self Assessment Quiz
See what you can do to make your home safer and healthier. Click here for our Self Assessment Quiz.