Fireplace

Many Canadian homes have fireplaces for ambience and extra warmth. Some homes burn wood as the main source of heat. It is important to follow a number of key steps when burning any wood indoors.

Tips:

  • Inspect your chimneys and flues annually for corrosion, blockages, and cracks that could let dangerous gases (e.g. carbon monoxide) enter your home.
  • When using your fireplace, open a window a little bit to ensure a good supply of fresh air into your home.
  • Do not burn plastics, newspapers, magazines, painted wood, or cardboard as they can all release dangerous chemicals into your home's air.
  • Make sure wood is stored outdoors, dried, kept off the ground, and loosely covered.
  • When installing a fireplace, be sure that it is installed by a certified contractor who will ensure proper installation and safety. Check to see if they are a Wood Energy Technical Training (WETT) certified member.
  • Poorly maintained and inefficient fireplaces can lead to difficulty breathing, coughing, irritation of the lungs, and asthma attacks in sensitive individuals.
  • Ensure your wood burning appliances are being used properly and not causing breathing problems or making air unpleasant for your neighbours.
     

Tour More Rooms

AddThis Social Sharing Icon

Page Last Updated: 18/06/2018