Who gets sarcoidosis?
Anyone can get sarcoidosis. It’s more common in certain groups:
- People between 20 - 40 years of age
- African-Americans and people with an African background
- Northern Europeans and people with a Northern European background
People who work in certain jobs are more likely to get sarcoidosis:
- Ship servicemen (in the navy)
- Metal workers
- Suppliers of building materials, hardware, and gardening materials
Children can get sarcoidosis, but it’s rare.
Michael C. Iannuzzi, M.D., Benjamin A. Rybicki, Ph.D., and Alvin S. Teirstein, M.D. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:2153-2165 http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra071714