How to use the Diskus®
Watch a video on how to use a Diskus.
- Take the Diskus® out of the foil wrapper. Once the foil wrapper is opened the Diskus® must be used within two months.
- Hold the Diskus® level with one hand.
- Place the thumb of the other hand on the thumb grip.
- Push your thumb away from you until the Diskus® clicks. This will open the Diskus® so you can see the mouthpiece.
- Hold the Diskus® level and slide the lever away from you until the Diskus® clicks. This will load the medication. Keep the Diskus® level so you don't loose the medication. Hold the Diskus® level and away from your mouth and gently breathe out. Never exhale into to Diskus®.
- Seal your lips around the mouthpiece.
- Inhale rapidly and deeply. Continue to take a full, deep breath.
- Hold your breath for up to ten seconds. This allows the medication time to deposit in the airways.
- Breathe normally.
- Close the Diskus® by placing your thumb on the thump grip. Pull your thumb toward you until the discus clicks. The mouthpiece will be hidden and the lever will be reset.
- Rinse your mouth out with water and spit the water out (don't swallow it). Rinsing your mouth can cut down on some side effects, like a white coating on your tongue (a yeast infection called thrush) or a sore throat.
How to Tell When the Diskus® Is Empty
The Diskus® has a dose indicator on the top of the device. Numbers on the dose indicator shows how many doses are left in the diskus®.
When there are five doses left in the Diskus® the numbers on the dose indicator will turn red. This means the Diskus® is almost empty.
When the red number is at 0 the Diskus® is empty. Start using a new Diskus®.
How to Care for Your Diskus®:
Keep the Diskus® closed when not in use. Keep the diskus® dry. The Diskus® does not need to be cleaned routinely. If the mouthpiece is dirty, wipe it with a cloth.
This content was developed and reviewed by the Lung Association's Certified Respiratory Educators.