Using your Diskus inhaler
This information is meant to help you use your Diskus inhaler. If you require more information about the medication itself, please speak to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
- Take the Advair Diskus out of the foil wrapper. Once the foil wrapper is opened, the Diskus must be used within four weeks.
- Hold the Diskus level with one hand and place the thumb of your other hand on the thumb grip.
- Push your thumb away from you until the Diskus clicks. This will open the Diskus so you can see the mouthpiece.
- Hold the Diskus level and slide the lever away from you until the Diskus clicks. This will load the medication.
- Keep the inhaler level so you don't loose the medication. Hold the Diskus level and away from your mouth and gently breathe out. Never exhale into to Diskus.
- Seal your lips around the mouthpiece.
- Inhale rapidly and deeply. Continue to take a full, deep breath.
- Hold your breath for up to ten seconds. This allows the medication time to deposit in the airways.
- Breathe normally.
- Close the Diskus by placing your thumb on the thump grip. Pull your thumb toward you until the discus clicks. The mouthpiece will be hidden and the lever will be reset.
- Rinse your mouth out with water and spit the water out (don't swallow it). Rinsing your mouth can cut down on some side effects, like a white coating on your tongue (a yeast infection called thrush) or a sore throat.
VIDEO: Using your Diskus inhaler
How to tell when your Advair Diskus is empty
The Diskus has a dose indicator on the top of the device, which shows how many doses are left in the device.
When there are five doses left in the Diskus, the numbers on the dose indicator will turn red. This means the Diskus® is almost empty.
Dispose of the device when the counter reads 0, or 1 month after opening, whichever comes first.
Caring for your Diskus inhaler
Keep the Diskus closed when not in use.
Keep the Diskus dry. It does not need to be cleaned regularly. If the mouthpiece is dirty, wipe it with a cloth.