A Twisthaler® is a plastic device containing dry powdered medication. A Twisthaler ® is breath-activated. This means when you inhale, the Twisthaler ® automatically releases the medication. If you use it properly, the Twisthaler can deliver medication deep into your lungs.
- Hold the inhaler upright and twist the cap off.
- Breathe out, away from the Twisthaler.
- Seal your lips around the mouthpiece and breathe in quickly and deeply.
- Remove inhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for 5-10 seconds.
- Twist the cap on to close and reset the Twisthaler.
- If you need a second puff, repeat these steps and then rinse your mouth.
Clean mouthpiece two or three times a week. Using a dry cloth, wipe away any particles that have collected on the mouthpiece. Never wash the mouthpiece.
This content was developed and reviewed by the Lung Association's Certified Respiratory Educators.